The government is changing families package from 1 July 2018. The changes will increase financial support for New Zealand families.
Some of the major changes include:
- the introduction of the Best Start tax credit
- higher payment rates for Working for Families tax credits customers
- widening of the eligible income range for Working for Families tax credits
- extension of paid parental leave (PPL) payments from 18 to 22 weeks.
- you must be the principal caregiver of the child
- you must be a New Zealand resident or citizen and have been in New Zealand for a continuous period of 12 months at any time
- a New Zealand tax resident
- you must have an IRD number for the child you will get Best Start payments for
- the child you are claiming for is both a resident and present in New Zealand.
Best start tax credit is a weekly payment of $60 per child for a baby born or due on or after 1 July 2018.
To be eligible for Best Start:
Information on other changes such as the winter energy payment and orphans benefits can be found on the Work and Income website. (https://www.workandincome.govt.nz/about-work-and-income/news/2017/families-package.html)
Contact Tax Accountant
Please fill the form below to contact us!